Continuing with my “Free Seattle” series, this week we head to Gasworks Park: land of stark contrasts, kite flying, frolic-worthy hills, and 270-degree views.
- Lots of wind for kite flying
- Great view of Lake Union and downtown
- Some of the best picture-taking in the city
What to Do:
- Get a closer look at Seattle’s famous houseboats
- Fly a kite
- Climb a big hill
- Take pictures
- Soak in the sun
- Walk the dog
- Play Frisbee, kickball, or anything else that requires wide-open spaces
- Run like the wind!
Know Before You Go:
- There’s a free, decent-sized parking lot directly north on N. Northgate Way.
- Want to grab a picnic on the way? Stop by the Essential Baking Company on the northeast corner of 34th and Woodlawn.
- There’s no playground area for kids, but there is plenty of room to run, climb, and explore.
For more free Seattle fun, try one of these adventures:
- Golden Gardens
- Olympic Sculpture Park
- Green Lake
- Bayview-Kinnear Park
- Ballard Splash Park
- Tulip Festival
- San Juan Islands
Have your own tips for free things to do in and around Seattle … or your city? Please share!