You may remember it as Grumpus Soup—proven to help alleviate child possession by The Grumpus Monster. But if you want to be all boring, you can call it:
- 2 lb Italian sausage (pork, turkey, or chicken)
- 2 slices of bread, toasted and crumbled
- 1 egg
- olive oil
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 1 dozen crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 bunches of kale, coarsely chopped
- 2-3 cans white beans
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine sausage, bread, and egg.
- Roll into balls.
- Heat oil and saute onion.
- Place meatballs on onion and a little broth. Cover and simmer five minutes. Stir.
- Add mushrooms and a little broth. Cover and simmer 5 minutes. Stir.
- Add kale and a little more broth. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the broth, beans, salt, and pepper. Stir.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
Serve with bread and a smile. The Grumpus Monster just hates that!
Also note, this recipe makes a lot, so I recommend freezing half or swapping leftovers with a friend. Enjoy!
What’s your favorite hot soup for a cold day? Please share in the comments!