- Amazing sunset views of ocean, boats, and mountains
- Lots of free parking
- Good wind for kite flying
- Picturesque picture taking
What to Do:
- Explore the awesome new playground on the north end
- Comb the beach for treasures
- Build a sand castle
- Fly a kite
- Watch the evening sailboat races
- Have a BBQ in the rentable picnic spaces
- Cuddle around a sunset bonfire on the beach
- Take your dog to the adjoining dog park
Know Before You Go:
- The water in the Sound is very cold. You can wade in, but most of the year, I wouldn’t recommend swimming.
- Dogs aren’t (supposedly) allowed on the beach, although I’ve seen that rule broken on many occasion. Just make sure to clean up after your dog, of course.
- On the south end, there’s a stream leading into the Sound, where kids love to play. A couple of years ago it tested high for bacteria (erroneously). Supposedly, it’s been okay since, and the city will post warning signs if there’s a health risk. Just be observant and aware.
- Ray’s Boathouse is a decent (though pricey) restaurant with a view, just south of Golden Gardens. For a cheaper alternative, head upstairs to its café level, where you get all the view plus equally decent food, for a cheaper price tag.
For more free Seattle fun, try one of these adventures:
- Olympic Sculpture Park
- Green Lake
- Gasworks Park
- Bayview-Kinnear Park
- Ballard Splash Park
- Tulip Festival
- San Juan Islands
Have your own tips for free things to do in and around Seattle … or your city? Please share!