As more people are having kids later in life, many find themselves navigating the unchartered waters of parenting without the guidance of their own parents to help light the way.
But the other day, as I was booking a theatre class for my toddler, I realized: I am parenting under the influence…
…the influence of Sue and Shirley.
For even though these two amazing women are no longer physically here, they continue to guide many of my choices as a parent:
- The choice to run my own business, so I may enjoy both my personal endeavors and quality time with my children.
- Our annual holiday outing to the theatre as a family.
- Our devotion to raising, teaching, and bonding with our kids through travel.
- Our commitment to instilling the values of both working hard and playing hard.
- Our efforts to include the whole family in meal time prep, collaboration, and enjoyment.
- Taking pride in home and hospitality.
- Teaching a respect for dogs and the proper way to care for a canine member of the family.
- Sharing the joy of not only reading books together, but performing them together.
Think about the many ways you parent. Can you trace the shadow of a lost loved one in your own parenting style?