In today’s post, I predict your future! (Dons sparkly hat and crystal ball.)
Last week I found this in a fortune cookie:
Since then, I’ve kept it on my nightstand, waiting for my special moment to show up. I even had one in mind.
And then it didn’t happen. And I was disappointed.
Until it dawned on me: It’s ridiculous to pine for some figment of my imagination that didn’t happen when I have hundreds of real special moments every day:
- When my daughter brings books to my bed and reads to me in the morning. (I call it our “reverse bedtime” routine.)
- When my husband makes an eye-roll-worthy joke.
- When Szaba surprises me with some new phrase, assumption, or silliness.
- When I sing my special made-up Mom Song, on request.
- When a friend randomly messages me something funny or sweet.
- When I take my dog for our daily walk, my half hour of reflection.
- When I write something that almost seems to come from outside of me.
- When I notice the quality of light at a certain time of day, the texture of the clouds, or the play of colors reflected on the lake.
- When a colleague or neighbor greets me with genuine joy and interest.
- When my daughter hugs me full-throttle at the end of a long day.
And the list goes on, as I’m sure yours does, too.
So how about this: Let’s not sit around waiting for fortunes that could’ve, would’ve, or should’ve been. We’ll live in the moment. We’ll appreciate what we have. We’ll make our own happiness.
With that said, I have a fortune for you: